Thursday 17 February 2022

Do you want more?

 Do You Want More?

 

Don’t be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life. Instead, be filled with the Holy Spirit.

EPHESIANS 5:18

 

May you be filled with joy, always thanking the Father.

COLOSSIANS 1:11-12

 

How generous and gracious our Lord was! He filled me with the faith and love that come from Christ Jesus.

1 TIMOTHY 1:14

 

“I’m so full, I can’t eat another bite,” we sometimes say after a big meal. But what if we realised there was chocolate cake still to be served?

Some of us say to God by our attitudes or our choices, I’m full. I’ve seen all of God I want to see, my love for him is as deep as I want it to go, my confidence in his promises is as serious as I want it to be, I’ve been changed as much as I want to be changed. I have as much of God in my schedule, my thoughts, and my heart as I need — and as much as I want.

Jesus says that those who hunger and thirst for righteousness will be filled, or satisfied. Paul prays that we would be filled with all the fullness of God. Both Jesus and Paul seem to be talking about an ongoing pursuit of an ever-growing sense of satisfaction. They are talking about a hunger to get all that God has to give in terms of joy, understanding, and power. It’s a desire to see more of God, to love him more, and to be used by him more.

No matter how far we go with God, there’s always more to know and enjoy and live out. In our pursuit of God, we’re like mountain climbers struggling to reach the top of a mountain peak, only to discover that there are more amazing mountain peaks left to climb. We lose out when we settle for only what we’ve experienced of God so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment