Tuesday 27 June 2023

Passing on the torch day2

Elijah invited Elisha to volunteer for a life-changing ministry.

Elisha said, “Let me go home and tell my folks goodbye first.” This may have been a polite way of saying, “Give me some time to think about it.”

“Hey, take as much time as you want,” Elijah replied. “Don’t worry about it.” And then he let Elisha leave and go home. He didn’t feel the need to say, “But if you don’t volunteer, think of what you’ll miss out on. And if you don’t volunteer, think of what you’ll be depriving others of.”

He didn’t say any of that. He didn’t pressure Elisha or coerce him or manipulate the deal at all. He didn’t use guilt. He didn’t use any sales tactics. He didn’t insult Elisha by soft-peddling his offer or reducing it to something that involved low levels of risk. (“Hey, why don’t you just try it for a while? If it doesn’t work out, you can go back to ploughing in the field. No hard feelings.”)

Elijah didn’t do any of that.

Many years later (in another Bible story), a rich young man comes to see Jesus and asks, “What do I have to do to be one of Your followers?”

Jesus tells him, “You know the Law. Don’t steal. Don’t lie. Don’t commit adultery. Honour your parents. All that stuff.”

The guy says, “I know all that. I’ve done all that since I was a kid. Anything else?”

Jesus says, “Well, there is this one thing. You need to trust Me more than you trust your stuff. So go sell everything you own, give the money away to the poor and then come follow Me.”

And here’s what happens next. The guy walks away. And Jesus lets him go (see Mark 10:17-30).

Jesus doesn’t use manipulation. He never uses guilt. He also doesn’t lower His standards. (“Hey, did I say everything? What if you just start with half? Or 10 percent?”) Jesus doesn’t stoop to those kinds of tactics. Neither did Elijah.

And neither should we.

But we should remember this. There is a window of opportunity for each of us. God, in His grace, opens a window for us, giving us each the opportunity of a lifetime, a chance to join our meagre resources with His abundance, the prospect of partnering with Him in the greatest adventure of all time.

How long that window will stay open, no one knows. But it does expire. And on the great day of reckoning that is to come, when all accounts are settled and all the questions answered, the only words sadder than “If only …” will be “Too late.”

 

Lord, You have given me the great dignity of inviting me to participate in what You are doing in the world. I realize that I cannot contribute anything to You, because You lack nothing and have no needs. Yet you call me to participate, and You affirm that this decision will have everlasting consequences. I do not want to miss out on Your call or wait until it is too late. But I also know that it will take a real risk on my part to treasure and implement Your call, especially because there are so many visible alternatives that compete for my allegiance. You lead me in graciousness without compelling or coercing me to do what You know is in my best interests. I am willing to do Your will, and I ask for the power and spirit of obedience and trust that I need to realize Your loving intentions for my life during my earthly sojourn.

In Jesus’s name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment