Thursday 25 May 2023

A man after God's own heart day3

David’s heart was loyal, some might even say it was stubborn. When he gave his heart to someone, he didn’t take it back. When David loved you, you stayed loved, even if he hated you sometimes.

Think about the people in David’s life. First, there was King Saul. He was once a promising young king, but then he became increasingly corrupt, tormented by a pathological jealousy of David, paranoid and eaten up by his own anxiety. Several times he tried to kill David, but David just kept loving Saul. Twice David could have killed him, but he wouldn’t. He probably would have been justified in doing it, still he refused. And when Saul eventually died, David wrote one of his most heart-rending poems for the king, “How the mighty have fallen,” he sang (see 2 Samuel 1.19-27). Knowing everything he knew of Saul, he wept at his death. He loved Saul to the end.

Then, of course, there was Jonathan. He was Saul’s son and could have been David’s rival for the throne. You might have expected them to be at each other’s throats, but instead they had one of the great friendships in all of literature.

Many years later, after both Saul and Jonathan were dead, David started looking for someone from their families, just so he could show that person kindness. Someone eventually found a little-known guy named Mephibosheth, Jonathan’s son who had been crippled in a childhood accident. David sent for him and had him brought into the royal court. He treated Mephibosheth like a son because of his intense love for Jonathan.

And his own son, Absalom, who tried to overthrow his father and take the throne. He actually took over the capital city and forced David into exile. As soon as he was in power, he staged an elaborate orgy held in broad daylight on the rooftop with all of David’s mistresses involved. That’s detestable. But when David was finally restored to power and received word that Absalom had been killed, he did not rejoice in the fact that he was safe and secure. Rather, he cried out that he would gladly have exchanged places with his son. He wished that he had died in Absalom’s place.

When David loved you, you stayed loved no matter what you did to him. That’s the kind of heart God wants His children to cultivate, a heart that says, “Regardless of what you’ve done, are doing, will do, might do, you are loved.”

That is, after all, God’s own heart. When God loves you, you stay loved. No matter what you pull. No matter how much you never realise your potential. No matter how distant and separated you may be. No matter how rebellious you’ve been. God says, “I wish I could die in your place.”

And that is precisely what He did.

 

Lord God, Your love for me is causeless and ceaseless and measureless. You have loved me because You have chosen to do so, not because of anything I am or have done. This is the wellspring of my true security, and I revel in Your unconditional love and acceptance, knowing that I could never have earned it or merited it. This frees me to be the person You intended me to be, secure enough in Your love so that I can love and serve others. May I show kindness and compassion for people, even when they may turn against me. Give me the grace to be a peacemaker and a reconciler with the people You sovereignly place in my path. Let me learn to see my love, fidelity and service to them as an expression of who I am to You and who You are to me.

In Jesus’s name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment