Thursday 11 May 2023

The pagan who got it right day3

 The book of Ruth is not flashy. There are no miracles in its pages. There doesn’t appear to be anyone remarkably gifted, no feats of strength, no beauty pageants (read the book of Esther for that). The woman herself isn’t known for being particularly talented or smart, and the book named for her is sort of the meatloaf of the Old Testament. The things we see in Ruth, the things that make her stand out, are things like, “She’s honest,” “She works really hard,” “She’s loyal,” “She has integrity.” Not the kind of stuff that Hollywood movies are made of. 

Ruth and Naomi were both shrewd, but it was a common-sense, homespun, front-porch kind of wisdom, the kind usually dispensed by grandparents and isn’t particularly sexy, and isn’t valued nearly enough in our time. They got up early, stayed up late, and did the kinds of things you have to do when you live on the edge, barely eking out a living. 

This is a pretty apt description of our leading man, Boaz, as well. He was a landowner, but it doesn’t seem that he was extraordinarily wealthy. It seems, instead, that he was a decent, middle-class guy. For example, the Law told landowners that when they were harvesting the crops, they should make provision for widows and orphans. Boaz did. There was a little extra generosity on his part, but he wasn’t flashy about it. He didn’t stand on the street corner and yell out about what he was doing to help the plight of the poor. He just told his foreman to be a little extra sloppy around the edges of the fields. 

When he found out that he was related to Ruth, he put together a simple, practical plan to set things right. He had more than a cursory understanding of what the Law says about familial obligation to widows. He went to the right people in the right way at the right time and did the right thing. 

This is an ordinary story of ordinary people doing what it takes and doing what is right. All of the main characters are clever, simple, practical, hardworking folks, salt of the earth types who help others and keep their word. 

We used to call such behaviour the Judeo-Christian work ethic. But we don’t talk about that much anymore. Our pride is that we live in an age of innovation, and innovation is often a good thing. But nothing will ever take the place of ordinary people doing what it takes and doing what’s right. 


Dear Lord, I ask that I would apply all diligence to be Your person in this world. As I seek Your will, I don’t need to impress or manipulate people. Instead, I can choose the simplicity of quiet service, even when others don’t notice. I realize that You often accomplish Your extraordinary work in ordinary ways. I pray that I would learn to welcome You into the routines of my life so that I will see that nothing is too trivial or mundane to be infused by Your grace. May I see my love and service to You in my love and service to the people You have placed in my life. I ask that my faith would be expressed through moral excellence, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, kindness and love. May I pursue fidelity to You in the small things and little tasks of life.

In Jesus’s name, Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment