Sunday 8 October 2023

God is omniscient

 Nobody likes a know-it-all. You know the kind of person I mean. It’s the inexperienced worker who tells you how to do your job better. It’s the mum who constantly gives you advice on parenting even though her son is living a worldly lifestyle. It’s the man looking over your shoulder telling you how he’d cook the steaks on the grill. People like that are simply annoying. They infer by their comments that they know everything about everything, when in reality they know very little about anything meaningful or important.

When we say that God knows everything, we certainly don’t think of Him as a know-it-all. That’s because He really does know everything about everything. He is omniscient. By His very nature He possesses unlimited knowledge and wisdom. Psalm 147.5 tells us, “Great is our Lord and mighty in power, his understanding has no limit.” Job 37.16 says that God is “perfect in knowledge.” Hebrews 4.13 reminds us, “Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.”

The omniscient nature of God is both a source of comfort and challenge to us. It’s comforting to realise that God knows everything about my circumstances. He knows my fears, my hurts, my longings, and my hopes. But God also knows the darkness of my heart. He knows my impure thoughts. He knows my misplaced motives. He sees every act of indiscretion I make. I am accountable to God for everything I do, everything I say, and even everything I think. He knows it all.

Because God’s knowledge is unlimited, He even knows the potential outcome of circumstances that never came to be. For example, Jesus, in Matthew 11.21, announced judgment on the cities of Korazin and Bethsaida, saying, “If the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago.” Jesus, in His omniscience, knew how these ancient cities would have responded had they witnessed His mighty miracles. Not only does God know all things potential, but He knows all things past, present, and future. God, in Isaiah 46.10, declared, “I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come.”

Because God knows everything, He knows your needs today. He knows that our greatest need is for our sins to be forgiven. That’s why God, before time began, prepared a plan for our salvation. He planned for His Son, Jesus, to die for us. Ephesians 1.4 tells us, “He chose us in him before the creation of the world.” Why not put your life in the hands of the God who knows you inside and out? Ask Jesus into your life today.


No comments:

Post a Comment