Sunday 22 October 2023

Jesus' return

To a small child, a father’s words can be very comforting. As Dad is heading out the door for another business trip, he says, “Don’t worry, I’ll be back soon.” The son or daughter looks forward to Dad’s return, and the possibility of a small gift that Dad may have purchased along the way.

We’re like children in many ways. Jesus said that we have to become like little children in order to enter into His kingdom. Childlike faith is essential. Jesus also offered words of comfort for His children when He went back to heaven. In essence, He said, “Don’t worry, I’ll be back soon.” More specifically, in John 14.2-3 He told His disciples, “In my Father’s house are many mansions, if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.” Jesus is coming back!

The return of Jesus Christ could take place at place at any moment. We say that His is “imminent”. Titus 2.13 instructs us to live godly lives “while we wait for the blessed hope, the glorious appearing of our God and Saviour, Jesus Christ.” Jesus Christ will appear at a time unknown to us but known in heaven, and when He comes He will come quickly. For example, in Revelation 22.12 Jesus said, “Behold, I am coming soon. My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.” Jesus is coming at any time, and like a father who brings his child a gift after a long business trip, He even promised to bring us rewards. Jesus is coming again. He could come today.

Because Jesus could come at any moment, we want to be ready at every moment. This means that we should live our lives with vigilance. In Matthew 24.42 Jesus said, “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will appear.” Keeping watch means to keep looking up in anticipation of Jesus’ return. It also means to keep looking inward to make sure that our lives are consistently conformed to God’s will. You may want to ask yourself, “Where will Jesus find me when He returns? What will Jesus find me doing when He comes back?” First John 3.2-3 tells us, “We know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure.” Since we look forward to Jesus’ return, we’ll want to live pure lives day in and day out. We want Jesus to find us living in obedient devotion when He comes to take us home to heaven.

Are you looking forward to Jesus’ return? Are you ready?  The best step you can take to prepare for Jesus’ second coming is to ask Jesus into your heart today. He died to take away your sins and give you eternal life. Why not accept Him today? Then, begin to live a life of practical purity as you look forward to Jesus’ return.

No comments:

Post a Comment