Friday 5 February 2021

The cost of being My disciple

Jesus says 

 

Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. 1

For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, saying, “This man began to build and was not able to finish.” So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple. 2

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it. 3

If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. 4

If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. 5 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name’s sake, will receive it hundredfold and will inherit eternal life. 6

 

1 Lk 14.27 2 Lk 14.28-30,33 3 Mt 13.44-46 4 Lk 14.26 5 Lk 9.23-24 6 Mt 19.29

No comments:

Post a Comment