Monday 5 April 2021

I must die and rise again

 Jesus says

 

I tell you, this scripture must be fulfilled in me, “And he was counted among the lawless.” 1

Everything written about me in the law of Moses, the prophets, and the psalms must be fulfilled. Thus it is written, that the Messiah is to suffer and to rise from the dead on the third day. 2

See, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be handed over to the chief priests and scribes, and they will condemn him to death; then they will hand him over to the Gentiles to be mocked and flogged and crucified; and on the third day he will be raised. 3 I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. 4

Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels? But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled, which say it must happen in this way? 5 My time is near. 6 Now my soul is troubled. And what should I say – “Father, save me from this hour”? No, it is for this reason that I have come to this hour. 7 Am I not to drink the cup that the Father has given me? 8

The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be driven out. And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself. 9 Just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in him may have eternal life. 10

 

1 Lk 22.37 2 Lk 24.44,46 3 Mt 20.18-19 4 Jn 10.17-18 5 Mt 26.53-54 6 Mt 26.18 7 Jn 12.27 8 Jn 18.11 9 Jn 12.23,31-32 10 Jn 3.14-15

No comments:

Post a Comment