Saturday 30 October 2021

Promise of a nation day4

“We’re running out of time! You’re going to have to trust me!”

It seems like Jack Bauer says that in every episode of the hit television show 24. The world is in peril. Jack’s the only government agent with the courage and determination to do what needs to be done (even if it means playing fast and loose with the rules), and now there’s someone standing between him and saving the day.

“Please. We don’t have much time. Will you trust me?” Jack asks, and we know that they will.

At some point, the writers might be clever enough to have a character say, “No, Jack, I don’t trust you. Frankly, you haven’t been very trustworthy over the past few years. Your success rate is stellar, but your ethics are appalling.” (Of course, as soon as they say such a thing, they’ll surely become the next casualty of this season’s nerve gas or chemical bomb or nuclear warhead.)

What exactly is Jack expecting when he asks for someone’s trust? Is he asking them to have an emotional level of confidence in him and his vigilante ways? Of course not. He’s not asking anyone to feel anything, he’s asking for cooperation. In some way, he’s asking for obedience. And he knows that obedience comes from trust, not from emotional feelings of security. In fact, emotional security may only come as a byproduct of the kind of trust that feels the fear but does the hard thing anyway.

So it is with God. God comes to us and asks us to trust Him. Does that mean we have to be fearless? Must we stop feeling what we are feeling in order to demonstrate real trust?

No.

Abraham and Sarah were not asked to stop feeling anything they were feeling.

Feel the fear. Feel the disappointment. Feel the weariness and confusion and uncertainty. But do what God says anyway. And know that there is at least one very significant difference between God and Jack Bauer (there are lots, but we’ll just stick to one here so you can get on with your day). God not only has a stellar success rate, His ethics are flawless, too.

For God, what gets done is only a fourth of the equation. God does the right thing at the right time for the right reason in the right way. And when you muster up the courage to trust Him like Abraham did, you’ll find yourself becoming more and more like that, too.

The question you have to wrestle with today is simple. Will you trust Him? Will you trust Him enough to go where He says go and do what He says do? Will you trust Him enough to give, to serve, to rest, to talk, to listen?

You’re running out of time. At some point, you’re just going to have to trust Him. How about today?

 

Prayer

 

Father, I confess that I don’t know where You are taking me during this earthly sojourn and that I often try to go my own way instead because I think I understand it. But I also confess that Your purposes and character are perfect, even when they appear to be otherwise. I know that You cannot do anything that is contrary to Your goodness and that You cannot lie. All that You have promised, You will surely fulfil in Your time, in Your way and in Your power. Teach me to take the risks of radical obedience and ruthless trust so that I will honour and please You. I realise that I can only be truly satisfied when You are glorified. Teach me in my thoughts, words and deeds that trust is a choice. I choose to rest in You and hope in Your perfect character. When I am fearful, I will hold on to You.

In Jesus’s name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment