Thursday 7 April 2022

Do you love Me?

 Do You Love Me?


If you love your father or mother more than you love me, you are not worthy of being mine; or if you love your son or daughter more than me, you are not worthy of being mine.

MATTHEW 10.37


Jesus told them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, because I have come to you from God.”

JOHN 8.42


A third time he asked him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, “Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Then feed my sheep.”

JOHN 21.17


If you say, “I love ice cream” or, “I love riding my bicycle,” most people will know what you mean. But what does it mean to say, “I love God”? Is it a feeling, or is it an action? Is it a choice we make or a gift we’re given?

Some people say that loving God is an action, and no emotions or feelings are required. Some say loving God is the same thing as obedience to him, since Jesus said, “If you love me, obey my commandments” (Jn 14.15). But while keeping Jesus’ commandments flows out of our love for him, it is not the definition of our love for him. If we love Jesus, we will want to obey him and live the life he wants us to live. Beneath these actions will be strong feelings of awe about who Jesus is, enjoyment of his presence in our lives, gratitude for his love for us. Our love for God is not limited to an emotional feeling, but it is not empty of feeling either.

Jesus is worthy of being loved, not just through coldhearted grit-your-teeth obedience (which could be defined as hypocrisy), but by warmhearted affection and admiration. Loving God is appreciating him, treasuring him, enjoying him. It’s a reflex of the heart to all he is.


No comments:

Post a Comment