Wednesday 6 April 2022

Jesus protects His own

 JESUS PROTECTS HIS OWN


Love … always protects.

1 CORINTHIANS 13.7


“If you are looking for me, then let these men go.”

JOHN 18.8


Based on JOHN 18.1–13


Having wrestled with the necessity of His atoning death, Jesus willingly submits to the Father’s will. “Your will be done,” He resolves.

After Jesus finishes praying, He goes out to meet the soldiers who had come to arrest Him. Notice that they did not have to track Him down, drag Him out of hiding, and beat Him into submission. “No one takes [my life] from me, but I lay it down of my own accord,” He explains to His disciples. “I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again” (Jn 10.18). And then He lovingly leverages His authority to protect His disciples. Because love always protects.

Walking up to the soldiers, Jesus shields His disciples by exposing Himself, initiating the conversation, “Who is it you want?” He asks not because He doesn’t know, but because He intends to take full responsibility — a physical manifestation of the spiritual reality that would follow in Jesus’ substitutionary sacrifice on the cross.

“Jesus of Nazareth,” they reply.

“I am he,” Jesus says, and at His words the crowd draws back and falls to the ground. We have no way of knowing what caused such a response, but ironically they display more fear than the One they came to arrest. Jesus steps forward with courage and majesty, taking command of the situation. For the affirmation “I am he” doesn’t just speak to His identity — it reveals His divinity. I AM, God’s own name, in Jesus’ mouth is terrifying to the enemy yet comforting to His own.

Though Jesus identifies Himself, the guards make no move to arrest Him. So He asks them again who they want, and again they repeat His name. Jesus affirms that He’s the person they’re looking for. But are they afraid? Having experienced His earth-shattering affirmation of divinity, are they terrified to lay hands on Him?

With the command of a conqueror, Jesus dictates His terms: “If you are looking for me, then let these men go.” John clarifies that Jesus said this to fulfil His promise that none of those entrusted to Him would be lost (Jn 17.12).

It was not unusual for authorities to arrest all accomplices when capturing the leader of a movement. Jesus’ disciples risked being arrested, beaten, and punished. But Jesus had been entrusted with the lives of these men, and He had every intention of protecting them, even at great cost to Himself. He willingly absorbs all the guards’ attention and negotiates the disciples’ release so they may escape unharmed.

It’s such a small detail in the grander story of Jesus’ last hours, yet such an act of love! Even after His disciples had disappointed Him, falling asleep when Jesus had asked them to stay awake and pray with Him, even when He knew that everyone would desert Him and Peter would deny Him, still Jesus exchanged His life for His followers’ freedom, like a Good Shepherd laying down His life for His sheep.

Peter, ever the impulsive one, pulls out a sword and strikes out, perhaps in an attempt to protect Jesus, not understanding that Jesus was, in fact, protecting him. Jesus sternly rebukes him, willingly walking into His arrest. No one took Him by force, He gave Himself up freely.


Prayer 


Good Shepherd, even in Your arrest You cared for Your own, and to this day You stand between me and my adversary. I’m so grateful that when the accuser comes to fling his worst against me, You stand before me and protect me. There is no situation, no matter how difficult or frightening, that can assault me without Your permission, nothing that can separate me from Your love. Thank You for being my fortress and my protector. Help me rest in You. 

In Jesus’s name, Amen.


If you want to read more 


Isa 52.13–53.12, Jn 6.39, 10.18, 17.12



No comments:

Post a Comment