Friday 22 April 2022

Holy hands

 Holy Hands


I will praise you as long as I live, lifting up my hands to you in prayer.

PSALM 63.4


Jesus led them to Bethany, and lifting his hands to heaven, he blessed them.

LUKE 24.50


In every place of worship, I want men to pray with holy hands lifted up to God.

1 TIMOTHY 2.8


As children we are taught to fold our hands in prayer. But perhaps that has more to do with keeping our hands out of mischief than helping us approach God. So what do our hands have to do with the way we relate to God?

Throughout Scripture we are called to lift up our hands to God — in motions of asking and receiving, as well as motions of giving and blessing. When we lift our palms to God, that might express openness, invitation, and surrender. When we reach out our hands to God, that might signify asking him for something or depending on him. When we extend our open hands to God, that might symbolise blessing God.

Desperate for a response from God, David said, “I spread out my hands to you; my soul thirsts for you like a parched land” (Psa 143.6, NIV). Our hands can mirror our souls as they stretch out to touch God. David also lovingly called to his faithful God with hands lifted up, “I will praise you as long as I live, lifting up my hands to you in prayer” (Psa 63.4). Lifted hands reflect a connected heart.

Lifting hands is common in some church traditions and rare in others. But the lifting of hands isn’t really about what kind of church you go to. And lifting up our hands to God should never become a meaningless habit or a spiritual show. If we’re only lifting our hands in his direction to impress those around us, what an insult that would be to God! When our thoughts are about ourselves and our hearts feel cold toward God, we lift up our hands to him because of what we know about him. And that simple gesture can draw our hearts toward him.


No comments:

Post a Comment