Thursday 18 March 2021

Running for the prize

I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me. 1 I do not run like someone running aimlessly. 2

One thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. 3

You were running a good race. Who cut in on you to keep you from obeying the truth? That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you. 4 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.  5

Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. 6

Strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. “Make level paths for your feet,” so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed. 7 

Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 8 I have fought the good fight. I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day. 9

 

1 Ac 20.24 2 1Cor 9.26 3 Phil 3.13-14 4 Gal 5.7-8 5 1Cor 9.24 6 Heb 12.1-3 7 Heb 12.12-13 8 1Cor 9.25 9 2Tim 4.7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment