Friday 24 March 2023

Lent 2023 post 15

 Matthew 27.11-26, Luke 23.6-11, John 18.36-37


(Pilate)


Early on a Friday morning 

The Jews brought their prisoner to me

I could tell from the very first 

That the motive was rooted in their envy 

There was nothing dangerous about this man 

No reason for Him to die 

But the priests were quite insistent

They were determined that I comply

Amidst all their angry ranting 

He never said anything 

They accused Him of being Rome 

Of calling Himself a King 

Are You a King? I asked 

He made Himself quite clear 

Yes, it is as you say 

But My kingdom is not here 

It was obvious He was innocent

But the Jewish leaders did not agree 

I was looking for a way out of this 

When I heard He was from Galilee!

Aha! I could send Him to Herod

And let him determine the plan 

I really didn’t want to be responsible 

For the death of this innocent man 

But Herod lost interest quickly 

When Jesus did no tricks 

He sent Him right straight back to me 

Religion and politics do not mix

So here was the situation 

I had to decide what to do 

Did I authorise the death of an innocent man 

Or did I rile up the troublesome Jews?

Meanwhile outside

The mob sounded unruly and loud

Perhaps that was the answer 

Leave it up to the crowd 

I told them He was innocent 

He didn’t deserve to die

But I washed my hands of the matter

To cries of Crucify!



I have more sympathy for and empathy with Pilate than with any of Jesus’s other antagonists. I, too, tend to be a people pleaser. And I, too, often take the path of least resistance. But Pilate’s choice to wash his hands of the whole affair was disastrous. He was the one man who could have spared Jesus. Instead, he caved into the demands of Jesus’s accusers, he wanted to avoid an uprising that would jeopardise his position. He gave the people what they wanted. He took the safe way out. And Jesus died. I think it’s interesting that in the Apostles Creed it affirms that Jesus suffered under Pontius Pilate, and does not mention Judas or Caiaphas or the Sanhedrin, but Pilate! We can say we wash our hands of matters that demand difficult decisions and do what comes easbest, but if it’s the wrong thing we do or if we do nothing, our hands are stained and we’re still guilty. There is no such thing as absolving ourselves of responsibility if our actions are wrong.



Lord, forgive me when I, like Pilate, care more about the opinions of others than I care about You and what’s right. Forgive me when I, again like Pilate, try to avoid responsibility for my decisions and my actions. I can’t just wash my hands of issues I’d like to avoid. Help me, Jesus, to follow You courageously.

In Jesus’s name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment